Snow, rain, heat, gloom of night — just like the U.S. Postal Service, we cook out in them all. Seriously! Just this past Sunday morning at 3:30 am (!!!), my husband decided to fire up the grill and cook a few burgers…
Okay, so maybe that’s a BIT extreme and outside of our norm, but we do grill out A LOT. Typically my husband does the grilling, while I prepare a couple of sides on the stovetop or in the oven. But we’ve been experimenting with making more sides on the grill, with these easy grilled potatoes in foil packets being one recipe that we’ve been turning to over and over.
Grilling in foil packets is a surefire way to cook a simple and delicious side dish right alongside your protein without a lot of fuss. Plus it’s an excellent way to avoid cross-contamination if you have any vegetarians in your family. AND perhaps my favorite benefit, there’s virtually NO MESS! Serve these potatoes right in the foil, and then toss it after dinner.
Five ingredients are all you need to make this amazing grilled potatoes in foil recipe — baby red potatoes, ghee, minced garlic, my favorite Italian seasoning, and the juice and zest of one lemon. Of course, you’ll also want to season them with a little salt and pepper, but I don’t include those in my ingredient count because every home cook should have them on hand at all times.
I like to divide the recipe among four foil packets, so I end up with four individual servings. If I need more than four servings, no problem! I’ve written the recipe so that it’s super easy to calculate how to increase the number of packets.
Plus you can use this recipe as kind of a template to come up with your own flavor profiles. Try using different spices, adding some diced onions, crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, etc. — there are SO many possibilities!
- 2 pounds baby red potatoes, quartered (1/2 lb. per packet)
- 2.5 tablespoons Tin Star Foods Ghee (2 teaspoons per packet)
- 3 cloves garlic minced (1/4 teaspoon per packet)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (1/4 teaspoon per packet)
- Juice & zest of one lemon (1/2 tablespoon per packet)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut four pieces of aluminum foil into 14-inch lengths.
- Place 1/2 pound of the quartered baby red potatoes in the center of each packet. Drizzle each packet with 2 teaspoons of ghee. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of minced garlic and 1/4 teaspoon of Italian seasoning over top of each. Add 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice and equal parts of lemon zest to each. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pull the foil edges together and scrunch them up to seal each packet.
- To grill these packets: Preheat the grill to medium heat and place the packets directly on the grill. Close the grill cover and cook for 30-35 minutes until tender, turning the packets frequently.
- To bake these packets: Place side by side on a baking sheet and bake in an oven preheated to 400 degrees until the potatoes are tender, about 15 - 20 minutes.
- Carefully unwrap each packet before serving. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.