Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes | Cook Time: 16 minutes | Servings: 6
This Indian flatbread called naan is the perfect accompaniment to traditional Indian dishes like our Chicken Tikka Masala, Butter Chicken, or even your favorite stews. A little crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and rich in flavor thanks to plenty of ghee, you’re going to need more than one piece.
- ⅔ cup warm water
- 1½ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup Tin Star Foods Ghee, divided
- 2 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 2 cups flour
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of your standing mixer, whisk together the warm water, yeast, and sugar. Let sit for about 10 minutes, or until yeast is proofed and foamy.
- Add the salt, half of the ghee, and the yogurt to the to the yeast mixture. Knead in the flour a half cup at a time with the dough hook attachment on your standing mixer or with a wooden spoon and then by hand when it becomes too difficult to stir. Knead for 5-8 minutes or until dough is elastic. It will be sticky.
- Lightly oil a large bowl. Add the dough to the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes to an hour, or until doubled.
- Punch down the dough and knead for another five minutes. Divide into six evenly sized pieces and roll into 8 inch wide discs.
- You can cook these on your grill, under the broiler in your oven, or on the stove top in a frying pan. Preheat your appliance of choice and cook each naan for about two minutes on each side or until they puff up and brown spots just start to appear.