Chef Doug’s Hungarian Mushroom Soup is positively delicious. Onions and mushrooms are caramelized in ghee. The use of ghee adds a world of depth and flavor to the soup. A heap of paprika is then added in along with the delicate flavor of dill and a variety of other tasty ingredients that combine to make this a guaranteed hit at your dinner table.
- 2 teaspoons Tin Star Foods Ghee
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, minced
- 8 whole button mushrooms (can be left whole or thinly sliced)
- 4 whole shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt ghee in a medium sized pot over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes, until onion begins to become translucent.
- Add mushrooms and sauté for another minute.
- Add white wine to deglaze and simmer for few minutes, leaving pot uncovered.
- Add lemon juice, soy sauce, dried dill, paprika & reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add heavy cream, and bring soup to a low boil.
- After 15-20 minutes, stir in fresh parsley & sour cream.
- Once thickened, remove from heat, add salt and pepper to taste and serve with your favorite crackers and a dollop of sour cream.