Tamarind BBQ Sauce
- 1 1/2 cup tamarind paste
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Tin Star Foods brown butter ghee
- 1 onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp carob powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tbsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tbsp ground mustard
- 1/8 tsp ground clove
- 1/2 tbsp coriander
- optional: 2 drops liquid smoke
- First make tamarind paste by peeling then simmering tamarind pods in water until tender & broken down.
- Remove the hard outer shell, and place the sticky pods in a large pot.
- Add water until the pods are just submerged, and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to a simmer, and let it simmer for 35-40 minutes until it's nice and tender and the sticky paste has let go of the seeds.
- Strain thoroughly through a fine mesh sieve over a bowl. Scooping a large spoonful at a time and pressing down to release the paste. A lot of it will gather at the bottom of the mesh sieve, use a spatula to grab it and put it on the bowl.
- 1lb of tamarind makes almost 2 cups paste.
- Peel & slice onion and garlic.
- Saute on low with ghee & bay leaves until tender & caramelized, about 8 minutes.
- Let onions cool.
- Then add all the ingredients to a blender & purée until smooth.
- Makes 16 ounces. Store in the fridge.
Original recipe post can be found HERE!